Friday, February 20, 2009

"Subdue the citadels of men's hearts"

"O people of Baha! Subdue the citadels of men's hearts with the swords of wisdom and of utterance."

(The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 76)

Some things become a lot easier when I imagine myself talking to someone who has agreed for God to subdue her heart.

Say: We have ordained that our Cause be taught through the power of utterance. Beware lest ye dispute idly with anyone. Whoso ariseth wholly for the sake of his Lord to teach His Cause, the Holy Spirit shall strengthen him and inspire him with that which will illumine the heart of the world, how much more the hearts of those who seek Him. O people of Baha! Subdue the citadels of men's hearts with the swords of wisdom and of utterance. They that dispute, as prompted by their desires, are indeed wrapped in a palpable veil. Say: The sword of wisdom is hotter than summer heat, and sharper than blades of steel, if ye do but understand. Draw it forth in My name and through the power of My might, and conquer then with it the cities of the hearts of them that have secluded themselves in the stronghold of their corrupt desires. Thus biddeth you the Pen of the All-Glorious, whilst seated beneath the swords of the wayward.

(The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 76)

In my understanding, at least part of drawing forth the swords of wisdom and of utterance is memorizing some words of God that we might be able to use in our conversations.

The sanctified souls should ponder and meditate in their hearts regarding the methods of teaching. From the texts of the wondrous, heavenly Scriptures they should memorize phrases and passages bearing on various instances, so that in the course of their speech they may recite divine verses whenever the occasion demandeth it, inasmuch as these holy verses are the most potent elixir, the greatest and mightiest talisman. So potent is their influence that the hearer will have no cause for vacillation. I swear by My life! This Revelation is endowed with such a power that it will act as the lodestone for all nations and kindreds of the earth. Should one pause to meditate attentively he would recognize that no place is there, nor can there be, for anyone to flee to.
(Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 200)

"The sanctified souls . . ."

That brings up a lifelong inhibition that I need to reconsider, and maybe I'm not alone in that. I don't dare think of myself as one of "the sanctified souls," or "the people of Baha," or "the true lovers." I can't do it. I just can't. And yet, if He's talking to me . . . how I wish for it to be so . . . then I need to understand it that way. All I can think of to do now, is imagine that it might be so, and respond accordingly.

No comments: