Friday, February 20, 2009

People of Baha, and the House of Justice

"Our mission is to seize and possess the hearts of men."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 211)

Now I'm imagining myself talking to people who feel their hearts possessed by Baha'u'llah, and who see themselves devoted to the interests of the House of Justice, as part of their devotion to Baha'u'llah. I'm imagining that in order for the framework for action to serve His purposes, it needs to be done in the right spirit. I'm imagining that that spirit is the spirit of a heart possessed by Baha'u'llah. I'm imagining that it needs to grow and spread, and be freed from its shackles.

In "One Common Faith," the House of Justice discussed some of those shackles, and what to do about them. The framework for action is itself a response to those needs, but in my understanding it can be misused and get in its own way. I want to consider what possibilities might come with a heart possessed by Baha'u'llah, to help develop and spread that spirit, and to help free it from its shackles.

I have a master strategy now for everything I want to promote:
1. Multiply and deepen my friendships.
2. Improve my own practice of what I want to promote.

Not that I invented it. I see both of those ideas permeating Baha'i writings.

I'm currently living in China. One idea I have for developing friendships is learning to speak Chinese! Another is to start what people call an "English circle." A periodic gathering of people who want to practice English with a native speaker. Another is to try to develop friendships with people I meet at the monthly devotions for foreign Baha'is.

I'm considering what I can do to help develop that spirit in myself, and bring it with me more and more into everything I do, including what I do in the framework for action.

No comments: