Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hearts and hearts

I've been thinking a lot about hearts turned to God, and about the word "heart" in the scriptures. It seems to me that when I see or say that word, in verses from the words of God, I'm mostly thinking of the kind of heart that pumps blood. Lately I've been wondering about associating it more with the kind of heart in "heart of the forest," "heart of the night," and "heart of the matter." One meaning recorded in dictionaries is "the central or innermost part."

It might be that one meaning is derived from the other. Also, in some cases I see a clear reference to a blood-pumping heart, as in "shall cause the heart of every righteous man to throb.

In any case, I want to practice thinking of "the central or innermost part" of me, when I'm memorizing verses about hearts, like "Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart," for example.

No comments: