Sunday, February 22, 2015

Looking at the man in the mirror

In my manifesto, I wrote that before I would criticize anyone else's behavior, I would want to criticize my own first.

I wanted to say something about some unhealthy-looking behavior I saw around me, so I decided to look for that behavior in myself first.

Here's what I saw:
- Jumping to conclusions about someone's personality and character from only a few observations of what they say and do, without any investigation.
- Anger and alarm continually erupting at the slightest provocation.
- Fear of letting people see the loving, affectionate, sensitive, sentimental, intuitive parts of my personality, and possibly being depreciated and intimidated, keeping me from talking about some of my thoughts and feelings in public.
- Continually being tempted to promote my ideas and interests in ways that depreciate and intimidate others.

There might be some clues for me in all that, about why my progress in learning kindness and humility has been so slow.

No comments: