Sunday, February 15, 2009

Some more thoughts about the people of Baha

Before I continue studying words of Baha'u'llah addressed to the people of Baha, I want to look some more at some possible implications of "people of Baha."

I hesitate to think of "the people of Baha" as specific people who can be identified, even by each other, and I hesitate to think of myself as one of them. Even if I did so, I would want to avoid depreciating other people's relationships with Baha'u'llah. At the same time, I have an idea that it might be good for the people of Baha to encourage and support each other in promoting the framework for action, and that it might help to set that in the context of what Baha'u'llah says to them about their responsibilities and possibilities.

For now I'll just think of the feelings I have when I see "O people of Baha," and imagine some other people might feel the same way, and that we might encourage and support each other somehow in learning to follow Baha'u'llah.

I don't want this to be for Baha'is only. In my understanding this is really about our hearts being turned to God. I would like to see people of all religions and ideologies, including nontheistic ones, encouraging and supporting each other in responding to what God says to hearts that are turned to Him. I can easily imagine what that might mean in a Christian context, not so easily in other contexts. I'm wondering how we might talk to each other about our feelings, ideas, aspirations and experiences in responding to God's call.

I might try to spend some time with some Christians, Buddhists, pagans and other people, looking for signs of hearts turned to God and stirred to action by His words, trying to learn from them and learn to encourage and support them.

2 comments:

RVCBard said...

"I would like to see people of all religions and ideologies, including nontheistic ones, encouraging and supporting each other in responding to what God says to hearts that are turned to Him."

What does support and encouragement look like for you?

"I can easily imagine what that might mean in a Christian context, not so easily in other contexts."

Could you be more specific?

"I'm wondering how we might talk to each other about our feelings, ideas, aspirations and experiences in responding to God's call."

I prefer asking open-ended questions to start with. I'd like to discuss this further (since you're one of the few who seems to want to understand such things) but I'm leery of taking over your blog.

Jim Habegger said...

I like those questions. I'll be glad to discuss them here.